September 26, 2010

Happy Almost Banned Books Week! In preparation for Banned Books Week, I have been putting together a display of books that have been challenged or banned in 2009-2010 (as per the ALA Banned Books in 2009-2010 publication). I'm pulling the books that we have in our library that are on the list and sticking a "Beware of the Book" sticker that I made on them and putting them together in a display. Geography Club is one of the books on the list. I remember talking about it in YA Lit this past summer and was intrigued, so I picked it up for myself. In a nutshell, it is about a group of gay and lesbian high school students that meet together at school to connect with one another under the guise of meeting for "Geography Club" (which they amusingly conclude is a safe name b.c no high schooler in their right mind would willingly join a club called Geography Club). I've just begun reading; have you read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment